Do you Instagram? Recently I shared an article I wrote about 9 Amazing Apps for Paper Crafters. Instagram was one of those apps and it’s hands-down the one I use the most. I’m not a huge social media girl but I’ll definitely do Instagram and love every minute of it.
What I love about Instagram
- It’s so visual! I love seeing all those images at once and so many of them are so inspiring! I can click on them and choose to read more detail or I can simply scan through the beautiful images.
- Which brings me to my second point…it’s a great place for inspiration. Yes there are a TON of creative projects on there but there is also just so many beautiful photographic images, so many colors and so many beautiful things.
- Easy Navigation. When I follow my favorite creatives on Instagram, their work simply pops up in my feed. It’s a really easy way to find them and to see what they’ve been up to. Then if I want to read more, I can go to their blog for more information.
- It’s always with me. Instagram has become the most popular app for a reason. People love photographs. People love to share. And people LOVE their cell phones. If you’re like me, your smart phone is never far from reach. Yes, I totally agree that we can rely on it too much and some boundaries need to be set in place. However, the reality is that in a few short years, our phones have become a huge part of our lives.
- It’s quick! It’s quick and easy to use and it’s also a quick app for viewing. I don’t need to be on there all day.
- Instagram is a great way to document what’s going on in your life. It’s just like a digital scrapbook. I can’t count the times I’ve looked back at my Instagram feed to verify when something happened.
Favorite Instagram Tips:
- First of all have fun!
- Snap those cherished moments and the every day ones too. Instagram can be like a virtual scrapbook. It’s a great way to document your little corner of the world, the things that make you smile, your loved ones or the things you’ve made. If you prefer not to share with the world, that’s OK too. Instagram has a privacy setting so that if you only want a few select friends to see you can enable it.
- Take your best shot. Shoot lots of photos and then upload the best one. Try different angles or different lighting. I find that as I Instagram more, I slowly get better at learning how to use my phone camera. Like any camera, there is a learning curve.
- I do love the Instagram filters but here’s the thing. They can be over used. So find your favorites and stick to them for your own personal look. Or even better yet… click on the tool button and do your own edits. You’ll find everything from brightness and contrast, to saturations and sharpening the image.
- While you can’t add photos to Instagram via your computer, you CAN view images and comment on them. It’s a great way to see them in better detail than your phone.
- Hit that search button. While you CAN search specifically, I love how Instagram automatically suggests posts you might like based on photos liked by people whose posts you’ve liked or posts that are liked by a large number of people in the Instagram community. I ALWAYS find something unique and beautiful to look at there! Something I probably wouldn’t have come across any other way.
- Remember that everyone’s life does NOT look like an Instagram feed. This is social media and it often does not give you a view of real life. Some of the photos are staged. People are not sharing the ugly in their life. They are celebrating the beauty. And that’s a good thing as long as you keep it in perspective.
Instagram reminds me to look for beauty in my every day surroundings. It’s always there…I simply need to be more aware.
May I Suggest…
I have a ton of favorite Instagram accounts that I love to follow. There’s nothing that makes me happier than seeing what my favorite paper crafting friends have created! Lately I’ve been branching out a little and enjoying that search feed that’s there. So much inspiration…so little time! Here’s a few of my newly discovered faves. I thought you might enjoy following them too.
ianbarnard: Christian & Lettering Artist. I could watch his tutorials for hours.
thenester: Myquillyn Smith Home & Life ➳ it doesn’t have to be perfect to be beautiful… I’m a HUGE fan of The Nesting Place. DIY and home decor that’s REAL!
(in)courage: Home for the hearts of women. I’ve been following this inspirational blog for years and always loved the encouraging articles. Now I get a quick visual dose as well via Instagram.
handmadeloves: A curated collection of handmade goods, a blog, a community. Yes please! Love the variety of hand crafted and amazing designs.
sophieandlili: Dollmaker, Illustrator + Designer. Oh la la!
tearosehome: I used to follow this blog but somehow lost track of it. I couldn’t be more excited to have just started following her on IG. Sachiko makes the most stunning sewing projects with amazing style.
I’d love to have you join me on Instagram! You can find me here!
Do you use Instagram? What are your Instagram faves? I’d love to take a look. Feel free to leave me the info below in the comments!
Capture the moment!